Fundraising Ideas for Animal Lovers
Every season of the year presents lots of reasons to hold parties and other events. Why not turn your gathering of friends and loved ones into a lifesaving effort for animals? Or, let your customers know that you support a wonderful cause?
Business owners and fundraiser planners, please click here to download an information sheet to fill out and return if you will be hosting an event or promotion where donations will be collected and generated for Naperville Area Humane Society.
Check out these ideas:
- Celebrate your wedding, birthday, or other special milestone by suggesting charitable donations as a gift option.
- Hold a yard sale or car wash to benefit the pets in our care.
- Have a Jeans/Dress Down day at the office and request that employees make a donation to participate.
- Host a neighborhood or block party and accept donations.
- Work with local bands to organize a concert and donate the cover charge.
- Organize a bake or crafts sale, lemonade stand or other sale and contribute the proceeds.
- Register to participate in a walk, marathon or other event to raise money on behalf of the animals in our care.
- Host a golf or other sports tournament.
- Sell items on eBay and designate NAHS to receive all or a portion of the proceeds. Learn more.
- Business owners - hold a special shopping day or event where a portion of the sales benefits NAHS.
- Business owners - create an ongoing affinity or "shop to give" promotion. Learn about similar promotions.
Why partner with NAHS?
- Because homeless animals needs your support.
- Because we offer a progressive approach to animal welfare.
- Because we find homes for over 800 homeless dogs and cats each year.
- Because we receive no government funding and rely exclusively on private donations to fund our programs.
- Because we have a wonderfully dedicated base of supporters and volunteers and a fundraising program with a great reputation.
We can provide:
- Flyers about the programs and services of NAHS
- Digital logo for event flyers and other promotions
- Help with promoting your event
Some things to keep in mind:
- We request that corporate sponsorship solicitations to cover the cost of putting on the fundraiser not be made in our name or on our behalf.
- We will need to review all materials that include Naperville Area Humane Society's name and/or logo.
- When mentioning our name in print or on air, please use Naperville Area Humane Society.
- Cash donations are always welcome, and we also need these items.
- Checks should be made out to Naperville Area Humane Society.
- Our tax ID number is 36-3040480.
- Donations may be mailed or brought to NAHS at 1620 West Diehl Road, Naperville, IL 60563. Please let us know ahead of time when you will be stopping by.
- All donations to NAHS support the lifesaving programs based out of the shelter.
Tips for a successful event (courtesy of The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia):
- Choose a good planning committee. Enlist enthusiastic people whose dedication and skills will make your event a success. Involve enough volunteers to share the workload.
- Brainstorm! Get everybody thinking, dreaming and discussing ideas. now is the time to let imaginations soar. The more they participate now, the more committed they'll be later.
- Choose the right event. Decide on just the right event/promotion/fundraiser that best utilizes the unique pool of talent, skill and interests of your particular group.
- Identify your target audience. Who do you want to participate in this event? Does it include public participation or is it geared to members of a specific organization?
- Schedule your event. Pick a date and time for your event carefully to encourage maximum participation. Unless your event is holiday-related, steer away from major holidays to ensure best response. Most of all, give yourself plenty of time to organize, publicize, and guarantee greater success with fewer headaches.
- Plan your budget. By identifying and planning for expenses and income sources in advance, you will maximize donations by keeping costs down.
- Promote and publicize your event. Publicize early! Get the word out every way you can. TV, radio, newspaper and magazines often provide free public service time and advertising space. But don't forget flyers, posters, community bulletin boards, e-mails and good old word-of-mouth.
- Thank you, thank you, thank you! Recognize and acknowledge everyone who participates! Let them know how much they raised and heap on the praise. This can lead to the event becoming an annual undertaking, which generates donations for years to come.
- Have fun and take lots of pictures and send them to us to post on our website!
For more information about hosting a fundraiser to benefit homeless pets, please contact Ellie Stefanic, development director, at (630) 420-8989 x114 or via email.