Naperville Area Humane Society's volunteer program is open to anyone 10 years or older with a willingness to work on behalf of cats and dogs. Kids 10 to 15 years old are welcome to volunteer as long as they have an adult sponsor (someone over 18 years of age) to volunteer with them.
We ask that you commit to a minimum of 4 hours per month for one year. The animals depend on you!
To help underwrite the volunteer program and materials, there is a $25 program fee for the first year and a $10 renewal fee every year thereafter.
Naperville Area Humane Society has a large variety of volunteer opportunities available. With so many choices, it should be easy to find the perfect one for you!
Currently we are looking for help in these areas only:
Morning Cleaners: 7 days a week from 8-10a (approximately- it could go longer), we need morning cleaners. This volunteer role is crucial to the well being of the animals and their environment. We take great pride in keeping the shelter clean for the animals in our care, and we need people that can be committed weekly to this very important job. Cleaning the dog kennels and cat condos is a very physical job. In fact, it's a great workout! But it's not for everyone, so please carefully consider this opportunity- we are in great need of cleaners, but want to make sure our volunteers are placed in the best opportunity for them to be successful.
Foster Homes: Open your home to dogs, cats, pregnant pets, puppies or kittens that are not yet ready for adoption. You will need to be licensed by the Illinois Department of Agriculture through NAHS.
Pet Therapy: Visit area senior centers with your own dog or a NAHS shelter dog. Your dog just needs to be well behaved and current on vaccinations.
Fundraising Committee: Help plan and execute NAHS sponsored fundraising events.
Humane Education: Teach youngsters about the responsibility of caring for animals and the love they get in return by helping with the NAHS’ summer camp, after school program, shelter tours, and classroom presentations.
Paws for Tales: Visit a local school with your CGC or Delta certified dog giving children a chance to read a book to non-judgmental, supportive listener (your dog)!
Birthday Party Coordinators: Help kids celebrate their birthday here at NAHS. Run the event the day of, and help them make memories to last a lifetime!
Eagle Scout Projects: We are accepting proposals from Eagle Scouts, and have a list of projects that we need completed at the shelter.
The process is as follows:
2) Then you will receive an email from Andrea going over the Volunteer Program, expectations, and requirements. In order to move on to the next step, you MUST respond to this email.
3) You will then get an email from Andrea with any questions, concerns, or clarifications needed on your application.
4) Once accepted into the program you will be advised to pay your $25 enrollment fee (per person) online. You will get an automated response confirming it was received.
5) Then you can sign up for a training class via the website. While signing up for a class, you also need to review the NAHS Volunteer Handbook. After you have read it, please complete the General Policy Evaluation Form.
6) Finally, you will attend orientation on the day you signed up for, and bring your General Policy Evaluation Form with you, as well as a form of identification (Driver's License, State ID, Passport, etc.). You will also receive your T-shirt and nametag at this time.
7) Upon completion of the training class, Andrea will coordinate a set schedule with you so you can begin volunteering.
If you have any questions, please contact Andrea Cios, Volunteer Program Manager, at (630) 420-8989 x113 or via email. Andrea is in the office part time, so please be patient while awaiting a response.